Discuss Scratch

technoguyx
Scratcher
500+ posts

C Programming and Any Other Beginning Programming Languages [I need help]

potatoman1999 wrote:

Nope. Try malbolge O.O
Assembly language is a direct representation of the instructions given to a processor. Esoteric languages aren't, they're just hard for the sake of it. c:

Scratcher since 2008.
16Skittles
Scratcher
500+ posts

If you do want to get into C/C++, I recommend starting in Java. I started with Java and then moved on to C++. Python became my third language as it was needed for the programming course that I took, and PHP my fourth. I'm currently working on Javascript.

I would not recommend starting with Python if you want to go to C. Python is simple to learn, but it has strange syntax compared to the others. Java is basically like C with some different commands and without all of the memory issues (memory management is automatic in Java, but manual in C++. That means that you don't have to worry as much when you're beginning) but other than that the syntax is quite similar. Commands are differrent, but commands would be different in Python anyways.

Back from hiatus?
banana500
Scratcher
1000+ posts

If you ask me, C is not a beginner language, and you should probably start with JavaScript or Python.

W3schools is not a very good site to fully learn the language, I only use it sometimes to refresh my memory on the syntax every once in a while. I highly recommend Codecademy, though, it's interactive and it's engaging, and it really helps the language sink in.

3DS FC: 4871-4221-1009 | Notify me before adding so I can add you back!
Steam ID: rock on freaky bro
veggieman001
Scratcher
1000+ posts

banana500 wrote:

If you ask me, C is not a beginner language, and you should probably start with JavaScript or Python.

W3schools is not a very good site to fully learn the language, I only use it sometimes to refresh my memory on the syntax every once in a while. I highly recommend Codecademy, though, it's interactive and it's engaging, and it really helps the language sink in.
I agree with this post completely.

I often just figure out how to do stuff from StackOverflow, too

Semblance
New Scratcher
58 posts

veggieman001 wrote:

banana500 wrote:

Google/Startpage is very useful. Every issue I've had usually appears somewhere on StackOverflow.

Gravitation wrote:

I'd also suggest not learning at w3s. As zubblewu pointed out, Codecademy is a really great place to start out. For your first language I'd suggest either Python or Javascript - C is an advanced programming language (one of the most advanced out there).
Python is very good for learning to program, while Javascript is useful for online stuff.

infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

printf(“/a”);

Not here much, but sometimes I lurk.
God has a plan. He has a plan for everything, and everyone.
MelonInc
Scratcher
100+ posts

infinitytec wrote:

printf(“/a”);

The system bell!

3DSfan12345
Scratcher
1000+ posts

In 2018, I asked the Scratch Team to remove all my forum posts to protect my privacy. That's why this post is blank. Besides, I've outgrown this website, and I don't want the dumb things I said in my late tween/early teen years to follow me around for the rest of my life. This post probably wasn't anything interesting or important, anyway.
veggieman001
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MelonInc wrote:

infinitytec wrote:

printf(“/a”);

The system bell!
Doesn't it have to be a backslash, though?

3DSfan12345 wrote:

NOT JAVASCRIPT. Javascript is hard.
Actually, it's pretty easy compared to most languages.

banana500
Scratcher
1000+ posts

veggieman001 wrote:

banana500 wrote:

Yeah, StackOverflow is a great resource, but I don't use it as much.

3DSfan12345 wrote:

NOT JAVASCRIPT. Javascript is hard.
What do you have against JS, man?

Its pretty easy and I'd say its the go-to programming language for beginners.

3DS FC: 4871-4221-1009 | Notify me before adding so I can add you back!
Steam ID: rock on freaky bro
StarscreamClone
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Thanks, everyone!

This was very helpful, and now I've gotten started (specifically with Java, and I'll be learning JavaScript sometime soon).

Anyhow, thanks for the links and your suggestions.

Somewhere in my 20s | He/It
Workin' on my degree in computer science and cognitive science, and the future president of 2036!