Discuss Scratch

teardropidk2
New Scratcher
7 posts

how do you know my password

idk

Last edited by teardropidk2 (Yesterday 15:24:06)

8to16
Scratcher
1000+ posts

they don't
it's encrypted in a very secure one-way hashing system

when gf clicked
click [DSA Requirements v] :: motion

^^^^^ Below this line is a signature. It doesn't have anything to do with the post above.
1,000th post
the scratch movie # my beepbox compositions # free image hosting for forums

Scratchboxes probably won't appear while cubeupload is down
SheepsAhoy
Scratcher
32 posts

hes in your brain bro/…
Scratch137
Scratcher
1000+ posts

You are the only one who knows your password. The Scratch Team can't see it, and the Scratch website doesn't store it.

When you create a password, it goes through a process called “hashing.” The resulting string, called a “hash,” is a sequence of seemingly-random letters, numbers, and symbols that doesn't really resemble the password you typed at all.

Hashes bear a few key characteristics that make them ideal for storing passwords.
  • Any given password will always generate an identical hash
  • Any change to the password, no matter how small, will result in a completely different hash
  • The conversion is one-way only; you cannot obtain a plain-text password from a hash*
In other words, hashes are unique, unchanging, and non-reversible. This makes them perfect for storing passwords, as it means we can compare two passwords without having to know what they are.

When you sign in to the Scratch website, you are asked to input a password. This password is run through the same hashing algorithm that is used when you are creating a new password. Then, the newly-hashed password is compared with the existing hash that's saved for your account. If they match, the login is successful.

*Theoretically, a hash could eventually be brute-forced to discover the input value; in practice, however, this is functionally impossible. Any decently-sophisticated hashing algorithm would take many, many times longer to solve than the entire lifespan of the universe.

Last edited by Scratch137 (Yesterday 22:32:14)

;