Discuss Scratch

safiyah-dal
Scratcher
22 posts

A chance for everyone to get featured

I have seen a lot of great scratchers who have thousands of followers, and a lot of great scratchers who do not have many, and some in between.

So, I was thinking: Why not, every three days, a project of every single scratcher get featured?

I know, a lot of people will be asking to get featured, and it will get a lot of comments. But I could make a studio, an every day, 10 or more projects could get featured, and get changed every 3-4 days.

I just want it to be fair for everyone- a lot of great projects don't have a lot of views.

Please comment.

Last edited by safiyah-dal (Aug. 24, 2019 02:01:05)

safiyah-dal
Scratcher
22 posts

safiyah-dal wrote:

I have seen a lot of great scratchers who have thousands of followers, and a lot of great scratchers who do not have many, and some in between.

So, I was thinking: Why not, every three days, a project of every single scratcher get featured?

I know, a lot of people will be asking to get featured, and it will get a lot of comments. But I could make a studio, an every day, 10 or more projects could get featured, and get changed every 3-4 days.

I just want it to be fair for everyone- a lot of great projects don't have a lot of views.

Please comment.
Sheep_maker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

There's at least 45 208 101 users, and even though not all of them have shared projects, that's still quite a lot of users. Most Scratchers would probably have died by the time their project gets featured. Not all Scratchers speak English, so there's going to be a lot of confusion.

How will this select which project to feature? To select the projects with the least views or loves might select the Scratcher's worst project, which is undesirable. However, there's no use in featuring the Scratcher's most popular project. Also, some accounts intentionally have projects that aren't meant to be featured, while others only have high-effort projects all worthy of a feature.

This featured section would likely show a lot of low quality projects because not every user has a high effort project, so people would eventually ignore that section and relegate it to the level of the top remixed section.

Last edited by Sheep_maker (Aug. 24, 2019 02:26:21)

- Sheep_maker This is a kumquat-free signature. :P
This is my signature. It appears below all my posts. Discuss it on my profile, not the forums. Here's how to make your own.
.postsignature { overflow: auto; } .scratchblocks { overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: hidden; }
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Sheep_maker wrote:

-snip-
Yeah, that's why I'm almost never a fan of these plans.

Let's assume that 100,000 Scratchers are active on Scratch (which is less than 1% of total registered users). Let's consider a system where 10 projects get featured a day, and then 10 more projects get featured the next day.

It would take a little over 27 years to get through all the projects in that rate.

That's what I believe to be the problem with this. Even if such a system were to be in place, I don't think it would be very effective. It might get more Scratchers featured than the current system, sure; but it wouldn't be anywhere close to getting all Scratchers featured.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021. I reached 20,000 forum posts on June 24th 2024.

my notebook | scratch team essay | accessibility essay
coder2045
Scratcher
1000+ posts

safiyah-dal wrote:

Please comment.
No Support.
Nobody is going to scroll to the 30 000 000th Featured project. (or 19 871 335th, or 28 221 074th)

Last edited by coder2045 (Aug. 24, 2019 03:50:32)

Highlight this text and press Ctrl-Shift-Down to view more of my signature. There's a lot in there.
I FOUND THE POSTIE POSTIE POST LINK THIS
Brainteaser: What comes next? Answer on my profile. First correct answer gets a follow.

[ ]
[ [ ] ]
[ [ [ ] ] [ ] ]
Good projects ⬇️

coder2045
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

Sheep_maker wrote:

-snip-

Let's assume that 100,000 Scratchers are active on Scratch (which is less than 1% of total registered users). Let's consider a system where 10 projects get featured a day, and then 10 more projects get featured the next day.

It would take a little over 27 years to get through all the projects in that rate.

That's what I believe to be the problem with this. Even if such a system were to be in place, I don't think it would be very effective. It might get more Scratchers featured than the current system, sure; but it wouldn't be anywhere close to getting all Scratchers featured.
That's assuming every Scratcher has 1 project, right?

Highlight this text and press Ctrl-Shift-Down to view more of my signature. There's a lot in there.
I FOUND THE POSTIE POSTIE POST LINK THIS
Brainteaser: What comes next? Answer on my profile. First correct answer gets a follow.

[ ]
[ [ ] ]
[ [ [ ] ] [ ] ]
Good projects ⬇️

Nambaseking01
Scratcher
1000+ posts

No support.

1) Scratch is not about fame. I have seen a lot of people like you think that Scratch is mostly about fame and not to learn the programming language. The slogan of this website is “Imagine, Program, Share”. It does not involve anything about becoming famous and mostly trying to come out into the front page. I have been on Scratch for one year and three months. Have I ever been on the front page? No.

2) If you actually were to put a project from each and every Scratcher on Scratch on the front page, the site would probably crash. If you take a look at the Scratch statistics, there are currently 45,208,101 users registered on here. I am sure more than 30% of that crowd is inactive or already have 100+ followers, and more than 30% of that crowd has already been front paged, and if more than 60% of the crowd is not famous then we are left with two questions. How do we stop the already famous people from getting front paged for no reason and also get more than 20 million people on the front page without it crashing?

Last edited by Nambaseking01 (Aug. 24, 2019 10:44:19)

Hey there! My name is Nammy. I'm a male Forum Helper and Scratch Wiki Editor.
Profile | Test Account | Talk with me here! | Griffpatch is quitting Scratch?!
safiyah-dal
Scratcher
22 posts

Za-Chary wrote:

Sheep_maker wrote:

-snip-

Thank you for reply. It would make sense about so many scratchers to go through. What if the scratch team only features projects for active scratchers, or people who still use scratch?
safiyah-dal
Scratcher
22 posts

Nambaseking01 wrote:

No support.

1) Scratch is not about fame. I have seen a lot of people like you think that Scratch is mostly about fame and not to learn the programming language. The slogan of this website is “Imagine, Program, Share”. It does not involve anything about becoming famous and mostly trying to come out into the front page. I have been on Scratch for one year and three months. Have I ever been on the front page? No.

2) If you actually were to put a project from each and every Scratcher on Scratch on the front page, the site would probably crash. If you take a look at the Scratch statistics, there are currently 45,208,101 users registered on here. I am sure more than 30% of that crowd is inactive or already have 100+ followers, and more than 30% of that crowd has already been front paged, and if more than 60% of the crowd is not famous then we are left with two questions. How do we stop the already famous people from getting front paged for no reason and also get more than 20 million people on the front page without it crashing?

Yes, it makes sense… thank you for your reply.
Nambaseking01
Scratcher
1000+ posts

safiyah-dal wrote:

~snip~
Yes, it makes sense… thank you for your reply.

It is my pleasure.

I am quite known for helping in this forum. Am I? …

Hey there! My name is Nammy. I'm a male Forum Helper and Scratch Wiki Editor.
Profile | Test Account | Talk with me here! | Griffpatch is quitting Scratch?!
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

coder2045 wrote:

That's assuming every Scratcher has 1 project, right?
Yep, that's what I assumed. And since I restricted my analysis to 100,000 users out of the total 45,000,000 registered users, I think it's safe to say that each of those 100,000 have at least 1 project.

safiyah-dal wrote:

Thank you for reply. It would make sense about so many scratchers to go through. What if the scratch team only features projects for active scratchers, or people who still use scratch?
As I restricted my analysis to 100,000 users, I was assuming that every single one of those 100,000 users were active. I think this is a valid assumption; the Statistics page can certainly back me up on this.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021. I reached 20,000 forum posts on June 24th 2024.

my notebook | scratch team essay | accessibility essay
Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Getting people to view projects by lesser-known Scratchers is a big problem. But, as pointed out in previous posts, there is no way that featuring all Scratchers would ever work - there are just too many of them.

Scratch Team Member, kayak and pickleball enthusiast, cat caregiver.

(credit to Za-Chary)

;