Discuss Scratch

--Snowball--
Scratcher
500+ posts

Suggestion for NFE Projects

Hi there! I had an idea for the concept of projects rated “NFE (not for everyone)”. If there is an NFE project that I want to view, it can get annoying trying to find it, since they don't appear in the search results. I usually have to find the user and look through their projects to find it, which can be quite time-consuming.

Anyways, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to make NFE projects appear as normal for any users over the age of, say, 12 or 13. This way, older users would find it easy to view an NFE project, but the younger users won't see the content. Do you think this is a doable idea? Please tell me your opinions and ideas. Thanks!

Last edited by --Snowball-- (March 11, 2019 02:11:38)

I've since moved on from Scratch, and now I'm making games in the Godot Engine, music in LMMS, art in Photoshop, and other various things that aren't involving this website anymore. Thanks to Scratch for getting me interested in this stuff!
Dragonlord767
Scratcher
1000+ posts

This is a rejected suggestion.

Za-Chary wrote:

12. A 13+ version of the website:
Scratch is designed for all ages, and dividing the community would not really help anybody. However, if you want to share projects you feel would be more 13+, you can always download them and upload them somewhere else such as DeviantArt or Steam.
See the full list here.

Last edited by Dragonlord767 (March 11, 2019 02:49:43)

no signature plz
--Snowball--
Scratcher
500+ posts

Dragonlord767 wrote:

Za-Chary wrote:

Scratch is designed for all ages, and dividing the community would not really help anybody. However, if you want to share projects you feel would be more 13+, you can always download them and upload them somewhere else such as DeviantArt or Steam.
See the full list here.

Yeah, I read that. I'm not sure if this falls into the same category, though.

I've since moved on from Scratch, and now I'm making games in the Godot Engine, music in LMMS, art in Photoshop, and other various things that aren't involving this website anymore. Thanks to Scratch for getting me interested in this stuff!
CodingKidz1544
Scratcher
39 posts

If you want people to know it's NFE then say it's NFE.

Enter signature here…
Check out my new game, Platformer Maker!
set array [Array v] size to () rows and () columns :: list

replace array [Array v] row () column () to [] :: list

(value in [Array v] at row () column () :: list )

(array [Array v] number of [rows v] :: list )
sti_scratch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

--Snowball-- wrote:

Dragonlord767 wrote:

Za-Chary wrote:

See the full list here.
Yeah, I read that. I'm not sure if this falls into the same category, though.
It very clearly absolutely does, as it gives more functionality to over-13s.
Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Sorry, we won't be doing this for a couple of reasons:

1. Age verification is a tricky thing - people may not be truthful when they create their account. Also, in a group setting, you may have people of different ages sharing a computer (such as in a school classroom).

2. It would create a possibly disruptive divide in the community. We would prefer to keep it so that all Scratchers experience the site in the same way, as much as possible.

3. It would add extra complexity to the site which would result in more work for our developers.

Thanks for taking the time to share your suggestion though - keep thinking of ways to make Scratch better

Scratch Team Member, kayak and pickleball enthusiast, cat caregiver.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.
(credit to Za-Chary)

;